Sony is one of the major providers of android smartphones. And Xperia Z is its 1st smartphone of the Z lineup. Customers greatly welcomed Xperia Z and soon after the company started work on the successor of Xperia Z and then released Z2 and Z3. Nowadays Z lineup is the primary series of the company. The company has recently pushed the latest firmware Android 6 Marshmallow for their most powerful devices. But unfortunately, Xperia Z yet has no chance of official Android M updates. However, the users loving to update Xperia Z to this latest firmware can use this guide.
Thanks to CyanogenMod team, they have developed the Android 6 Marshmallow custom ROM for Xperia Z. Here we will guide you on how to Update Xperia Z to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via CM13. If you are interested to Update Xtperia Z to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via CM13 Custom ROM, then follow the entire tutorial step by step.
DISCLAIMER: Users can update Xperia Z only to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM13 using this tutorial. Not applicable on any other variant. Also, it’s an alpha build and might have some bugs. Cyanogen Mod team and guidebeat.com will not be held blamed for any harm during or after installation. We will only provide assistance as possible.
- Prior backup for all your important data on Xperia is highly recommended, to avoid any data loss.
- Do charge the Xperia before installation, should be more than 80% charged.
- Sony USB driver at your PC should be installed. [Download Link].
- Xperia Z should have Custom recovery TWRP/CWM. [Easy guide].
- Download Android M 6.0.1 CM13 custom ROM. [Link].
- Download Google apps [Gapps] for CM13. [Link] – [Link-2].
- Backup your existing ROM using “Nandroid” before proceedings, for restoring option.
Steps to update Xperia Z to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM13
- Download CM13 ROM and Gapps ZIP files from the links available.
- Connect Xperia Z to PC and then transfer both ZIP files to Xperia Intl./ Ext. sd card.
- After copying safely disconnect Xperia Z from PC. And turn off completely.
- Boot Xperia Z in recovery mode. Via buttons comb.
- Now on the TWRP main menu select Backup. Then [choose System/data/boot] and swipe to perform Nandroid backup.
- After backup come back and select “Wipe” to perform Wipe data/factory reset.
- Come back and tap Install > tap “choose zip from SD”. Then browse and add CM13 ROM zip file. Then Swipe to confirm. Wait for flashing to be completed.
- Repeat step-7 but select Gapps Zip file, to flash Google apps on the new installed ROM.
- Once both Zips installed successfully, go back to main recovery menu.
- Tap “Reboot” to boot the device normally running Android 6.0 CM13 ROM.
That’s how to update Xperia Z to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM13.
Restore Previous ROM:
BOOT Xperia Z in recovery mode. > wipe data/ factory reset. > select Restore option. > locate and add already taken backup of the previous ROM. > Swipe to confirm.